Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2009

I'm Allergic To Thailand

Now, I realize that I am not really allergic to Thailand, just to clarify.

But, I think I may have perpetually itchy eyes, sore throat and stuffy nose. at least until May.

Its the burn season here in Thailand. Burning=pollution. Pollution=allergies. So I suppose I'll just get use the the sore, scratchy throat and the watery eyes. About the only positive is that all of the smog cools things down a bit, but I'm thinking in April a few degrees cooler isn't going to make much difference. Rumor has it that outdoor events have been canceled due to the pollution in the past. Let's hope it doesn't get that bad.

Changing the topic...

I knew before I came that my schedule was going to be flexible. It's just something to expect with the missionary life. Plans change a lot. It's becoming really frustrating though. I am trying to get out of the city and visit some villages and I can't seem to nail down any definite dates with anyone. And it's frustrating. Even more frustrating is that I have the others I work at the guest house with and they need to know when I am going to be gone so that it can be planned around. I don't have any dates and they keep asking for them and the conversation goes in circles. It's quite frustrating. And I've had the same circular conversation twice this week. They were both about 30 minutes long. Repeating the same thing over and over. Getting nowhere. Frustrating. Sometimes I wonder how many times i have to repeat myself in order to be understood. Oh the joys of cross-cultural relationships.

4 comments:

  1. I say, you make a decision. Then everyone else will be forced to make a choice as to whether or not your decision works for them. Maybe you'll get somewhere after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just pretend their deaf like me and you have to repeat yourself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't mocking you! I was being sincere. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been in this country for 8 years and I always have to repeat myself if I want my Thai friends to hear what I'm saying. In fact the best Thai communicators I know usually repeat themselves twice when talking to other Thai people. (When they repeat themselves to me I want to say, "Arrgghh! I heard you the first time!!" I don't though. I simply smile and say thank you!!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...